Friday, January 23, 2015

First week in France

So I am no blogger, I'm not a writer, English and grammar were my worst subjects. Friends keep asking me how its going over here and why I'm not posting a lot to Facebook. So, per a suggestion from a friend, I think writing in a blog will be the best way to keep people updated on my life and adventures and tell everyone what its like living in France. I have no idea how to write a blog. So its going to come in short pieces, each about an adventure or hiccup that I've encountered. Week by week.

First of all, I have the best boyfriend. Adam surprised me by taking me straight from the Geneva Airport to a super nice luxury hotel looking out over Lake Geneva. And then pulled out a baguette, Swiss sausage, and my favorite French cheese. The hotel had a very nice pool and a mini, private ice skating rink where I taught Adam some skating basics.

I brought 4 bags to France: 2 large checked suitcases, and 2 carry-on bags. Keeping my tradition going, 1 of my checked bags did not make it to Geneva. I got it 3 nights later, finding out that it had gone to Norway instead. 

I unpacked my stuff into Adam's 300 sq ft studio apartment which is located in the center of town. I was worried it would be too cramped but actually its perfectly fine. Both of us are used to living with a minimalist attitude, with travel nursing, I had to live on what I could fit into my Honda Civic. I love our little apartment, aside from the fact its a little on the cold side

With Adam at work all day and my school not starting or another week, I spent every day wandering around Grenoble. Walking the streets, testing out the tram, visiting the school, and napping off the jet lag. Luckily there was a random warm front the first week, so I got a break before the real cold weather set in. 

The first week I was terrified of speaking French and having to understand what was said back to me. I broke out into a sweat the first time I went to the grocery store. With time this will get better.

I promise the 2nd week is more interesting. This is why I hadn't posted anything. There wasn't much too say about my first week


No comments:

Post a Comment